Over the last few days, as part of Clean Coasts Week and World Ocean Day, you might have seen a lot of stats and images on social media about our oceans and how plastic and litter are causing big problems for sea life and coastlines. And it’s fair to say some of the stats are fairly shocking:
- There will be more waste plastic in the sea than fish by 2050
- Every year at least 8m tonnes of plastics leak into the ocean (which is equivalent to dumping the contents of one bin truck into the ocean every minute!)
- Plastic bottles were found in over 80 per cent of all coastal sites surveyed during the latest All-Ireland Coastwatch Survey
But What Can I Do?!
While no one likes hearing that our oceans are full of litter, it can be hard to know how to help. But, luckily for us, the brilliant team at Clean Coasts have made it ridiculously easy to do our bit!
Introducing the #2minutebeachclean!
The #2minutebeachclean is exactly what it says – picking up any rubbish you see along the coastline for just 2 minutes. As well as being outrageously easy to take part in, the team from Clean Coasts also run a weekly competition to reward you for your efforts!
To take part, all you need to do is:
- Head out to your favourite beach
- While enjoying the views, sea air and 99s, spend just 2 minutes picking up any litter you come across
- Take a snap of the rubbish you’ve collected
- Post the pic to your Instagram/Twitter using the hashtag #2minutebeachclean and tagging @cleancoasts or post your pic to the Clean Coasts Facebook Page – and don’t forget to mention where you took your shot!
All pics are then entered into a draw for weekly competitions! Simples!
Find out more on the Clean Coasts website.
P.S. If some of those plastic stats are getting you down, check out this brilliant video of Colm O’ Regan as Bernicio Sandz, the self proclaimed beach clean guru – laughs guaranteed!